Here is what I look for when determining if a young child (ages 4-6) is ready for pre-piano lessons:
- Does he or she express interest in music or learning to play the piano?
- Is your child willing and able to follow basic directions and requests from people other than you?
- Can your child count from at least 1 to 4?
- Can your child say and recognize their ABCs from A to G?
- When your child speaks, are adults other than you able to understand him or her most of the time?
If you answer yes to most or all of the questions above, your young child is probably ready for pre-piano lessons.